Thursday 12 August 2010

Dude, Where's My Car? - Movie Review

Director: Danny Leiner, 2000

(Please note that the pros and cons are from my point of view. I recognize that for a certain demographic the cons will be pros.)

Pros: surprisingly intelligent ending, enough honestly funny parts to be worth watching, makes fun of some movie/sf stereotypes

Cons: lots of bad jokes, toilet and body humour, irritatingly stupid main characters

This isn't a movie I'd generally watch (let alone like) but sometimes you need a change of pace, and expanding your horizons (up and down) can produce surprising results. Despite the cons (I can't stand toilet humour and the main characters REALLY got on my nerves) there were enough good scenes in the film that I found myself liking it overall.

Jesse (Ashton Kutcher) and Chester (Seann William Scott) wake up one morning, hungover and with no memory of the previous night, to find Jesse's car missing. The quest to find the car has them meeting a transvestite stripper looking for the suitcase of money he gave them, two buff alien men, five sexy alien women and a cadre of alien seeking fanatics all looking for the 'continuum transfunctioner', which was left in their car.

The ending is surprisingly good, tying up all the various plot elements in an intelligent way. If you wan't something different (with the emphasis on different) look this up.

No comments: